Race Training Tips
I didn’t consider myself a runner or enjoyed running. However,
last year I trained for and ran a marathon because it’s always been something
that I have wanted to do. I wanted to
share these running tips that helped me because I know this is a busy time
where people are starting to train for their races. Whether it’s 3.1, 6.2,
13.1, 26.2 miles or anything in between, I know that you guys can do this!
1) Wear
the Right Shoes
I was advised to change my running shoes every time I ran between
300-500 miles in them. You can decide when to switch your shoes out, but make
sure your feet have a supportive platform during your long runs. Make sure your
shoes are comfortable and fit you well. I ran and trained in ASICS Women’s
Gel-Nimbus 20 Running Shoes and Women’s Brooks Ghost 11 for my half and full
marathon respectively. The reason why I tried two different brands was because
I have never owned running shoes before and simply wanted to try different
styles. I slightly prefer the Brooks shoes because they cushioned my feet more and
curled the front of my foot slightly to accelerate me forward. Everyone’s foot
is different, so I recommend going to a running store and talking to a
professional about which shoe will best fit you.
2) Pick
the Right Training Schedule
I chose relatively easy training schedules where I did not have to
run every day. I rested for a few days a week and also cross-trained. I
followed a 12-week and 16-week half and full marathon plan respectively. Both these
plans were a bit easier because they were for beginner runners. I recommend
researching what training plan is best for you depending on how much time you
have before your race and your running ability.
3) Stay Consistent
Try to keep the same routine when you go on your runs. If you run
in the morning at 6 then continue doing that. If you go in the morning at 7:30
and eat a granola bar beforehand then continue to do that too. Consistency is
key because when race day hits, your body will already be adjusted to your
routine and will know what to expect.
4) Drink
Plenty of Water
I can’t stress this enough, but was definitely an area I slacked
in. “Runner’s World” recommends males and females to drink this much water in
fluid ounces respectively: Body Weight x .31, Body Weight x.35. Brigham Health
states that, “Water regulates body temperature, removes waste, helps brings
energy to cells, and cushions joints. Adequate hydration can improve recovery,
minimize injury and cramping, and maximize performance.”
5) Try
to Eat Healthy
Try to eliminate sugar and processed foods. This was something
that I definitely struggled with, but I realized the healthier I ate, the
better I felt before and after my runs, and I would usually run faster. Running
increases appetite, especially in new runners. However, if you are trying to
lose some weight, then you should not eat a heavy-carbohydrates diet. However,
an appropriate amount of carbohydrates will act as instant fuel for your body. Fruits
and vegetables provide your body with a wide range of vitamins and minerals. Dairy
provides calcium which is important for strong bones. Protein is used for providing
some energy and repairing tissue damaged during training. Some of the best
foods for runners are bananas, oats, peanut butter, broccoli, and plain yogurt.
6)
Correctly Use Energy Gels
For longer races such as half and full marathons, it is
recommended to consume energy gels every 6-7 miles to make up for lost energy and
to promote recovery. I did not use any energy gels for my half marathon, but
for my full marathon, I consumed the GU Energy Gel in the Strawberry and Banana
flavor. Always take energy gels with water so that your body can easily digest them,
and they enter your blood stream quickly. Never take them with Gatorade or
other sports drinks because you run the risk of ingesting too much simple sugar
into your body at once.
7) Track
Your Mileage
Something that really helped me during my runs was using my Fitbit
to monitor my progress. I recommend either using an Apple watch or a Fitbit to
track mileage for an accurate representation. Phone apps are fine too but tend
not to be as accurate.
8) Check
Your Progress
This could mean either timing your pace or endurance. When I first
started training for my half marathon, I could only run 2 miles and then had to
stop. I have never been a long distance or fast runner, but over the course of
my training, my timing slightly improved. However, I am prouder of the fact
that I can go on really long distance runs without stopping because I started
with running at such a low mileage.
9) Run
for a Cause
This is not necessary but was something that helped me. A few
months into my marathon training, my family friend got diagnosed with cancer.
Afterwards, I started a GoFundMe to raise money for him and his family. Races
are a great way to raise money for others and help charities. I was definitely
a lot more motivated during the second half of my training because I knew that
I was training and running for a larger cause than for my own benefit and
satisfaction.
10)
Visualize Your Success
Finishing any race, especially a half or full marathon is a huge
accomplishment. Whenever I feel discouraged, I love to picture myself finishing
the race, being able to drink water I desperately craved, and reuniting
with my family at the end of the finish line, knowing my hard work has paid off.
Running definitely does not come easy to
many, but it is such a fulfilling activity that quickly shows progress and hard
work. Good luck with training and happy running!
