I Am From


I am from...
Um.
I think that is a really hard question to answer.
When I first hear the words, “I am from”
I think of Darien, CT
Because I have lived there for most of my life.

I am also from Stamford, CT because I have lived there for 7 years.
I am from my birthplace of White Plains, NY.
I am from Poland and so is my entire family. 
I am from the extra letters, dashes, and funky punctuation in the Polish language. 

I am from the wealthy, the elite, the hardworking. 
I am from the privileged, small, white town in beautiful New England
Because my parents who immigrated from Poland sacrificed so much 
And worked so hard to get me there.

I am from the Vineyard Vines, Patagonia, but also little boutiques. 
I am from “treat others how you want to be treated”
And the believing that bread and wine transform into 
The body and blood of Jesus Christ. 

I am from the educated beyond the 4.0 scale.
I am from the voyages to Poland, the Caribbean, Croatia, Israel, Egypt, and more. 
I am from the family that used to have four but how has three
After my parents divorced my freshman year of high school.

I am from the 26.2 miles I ran last spring
And the 360 degree spins I performed 
While competing across America. 
I am from the adventurous, the energetic, the determined,
The intelligent, the curious, and the honest. 

I am from the white in a town
That is filled with people who look like snow.
Now in Baltimore, 
The city is more like a black and white film.

I am from the literature,
The beautiful reads by John Green and Garth Stein.
I am from the hot tomato soup, crepes, and polish donuts my mom would make.

I am from the broken-hearted 
Whose malleable heart was ripped out by boys. 
But I am also from the kind-hearted, the loving, the joyful
In a broken world.
I am. 



Popular posts from this blog

Year in Pixels

3 Things I Learned My Junior Year of College